As a Controls Engineer, you will work as part of a team to create and implement control systems for major machine tools, including computer controlled (CNC) machine tools, measuring systems, automation, robots, and SCADA systems, with an emphasis on software development. In addition to working as part of a team, you will be given the responsibility to complete many projects independently.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines to establish control systems architectures and control strategies for machines and processes
- Plan, develop, and document software for machine control, HMI, SCADA, and other control systems
- Commission machines and systems, test, debug, and support factory acceptance testing
- Generate content (text, screen shots) for Operations section of Operation and Maintenance manuals
- Facilitate discussions with customers and suppliers related to control systems, interfaces, and integration
- Travel up to 25% (domestic and international) to support commissioning, integration, and site acceptance at customers’ facilities
- Support our Customer Service Center by helping diagnose and correct controls-related issues on installed equipment
This description reflects the principal functions of the job for the purpose of job evaluation. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements of the job nor shall be construed as giving exclusive responsibility for every function described.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Systems Engineering and two or more years of experience with increasing responsibility
- A thorough understanding of computer hardware and system architecture
- Experience developing control system programs for Siemens (Step 7, TIA Portal, WinCC Professional SCADA), Fanuc, or Allen Bradley PLCs, CNCs, HMIs, and Servo Drives
- Proficient in National Instruments LabView
- A fundamental understanding of computer communications (TCP/IP, RS-232, etc.) and industrial network protocols (Profinet, Profibus, EtherNet/IP, OPC, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Basic project management skills
- Ability to read and design electrical schematics
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to understand mechanical drawings, hydraulic and pneumatic schematics
- Experience with AutoCAD desired
- Professionalism combined with enthusiasm and sense of urgency
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of products
Character, integrity, and trustworthiness are very important attributes that Simmons Machine Tool Corporation looks for in all candidates.
Simmons offers a complete medical/health care plan, 401(K), and incentive programs.
An EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V
Send resume with proof of experience to:
Human Resources Dept.
1700 North Broadway
Albany, NY 12204
Fax: (518) 462-0371
Telephone calls will not be accepted.