Simmons Machine Tool Corporation is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the full time position of Technical Procurement Specialist. The Technical Procurement Specialist (TPS) will be responsible, as assigned by the Procurement Manager, for purchased materials and services relating to production parts used in the company's product line. The TPS will work closely with other Procurement/Purchasing department personnel as well as with Production Planning, Finance, Inventory Control, Manufacturing Operations, and Engineering. This position reports directly to the Procurement Manager.
- Work with Engineering to source vendors for purchased components
- Work with other Procurement staff as well as Inventory Control, Production Planning, Manufacturing Operations, and Finance to develop and maintain strategic inventory lists of critical components
- Negotiate with vendors to obtain best pricing and possible "pipeline" inventory at vendor's site
- Supplier management – Identifying, qualifying and co-managing primary and secondary suppliers to ensure uninterrupted supply of materials meeting Simmons’ quality, cost, and delivery requirements; monitor supplier performance and implement corrective actions necessary to improve poor performing suppliers
- Negotiate supplier agreements with desired terms and conditions as necessary, including international sourcing
- Assist in efforts to ensure on-time delivery and meet "promised" dates
- Keep abreast of new sources of supply - for example, outsourcing of key machined components as product demand expands and contracts will be critical
- Review of existing vendor base to research opportunities for additional value-added sourcing from vendor base will be required
- Ensure that the company’s established procedures are followed in connection with all Procurement department functions
- Working closely with the Accounting Department regarding vendor invoicing
- Other duties as required by the Purchasing Department
This description reflects the principal functions of the job for the purpose of job evaluation. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements of the job nor shall be construed as giving exclusive responsibility for every function described.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Engineering degree preferred; business degree with concentration in supply chain management, technical associate's degree with applicable working experience that demonstrates an ability to understand technical requirements and communicate these requirements to vendors will be necessary
- Experience with DRP/MRP functionality
- 3-5 years experience in Manufacturing and/or Materials management, including at least two years in materials management with a product consisting of 1000 or more items in a bill of material
- Must have general knowledge of industrial components such as electro-mechanical actuators, motion control products, hydraulics, sensors, and machine control systems such as industrial PLCs and CNC
- Work "hands-on" with company’s ERP system (Encompix) and learn how to utilize system via self-guided tutorials and other training tools
- Ability to read machining blueprints and familiarity with general machine tool processes as well as Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing will be necessary
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, are REQUIRED
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Very strong attention to detail and accuracy is essential
- Self-motivated, proactive, and solution driven
- Ability to work calmly through high-pressure, deadline-driven periods
- Must have strong organizational skills and must be able to multi-task
Character, integrity, and trustworthiness are very important attributes that Simmons Machine Tool Corporation looks for in all candidates.
Simmons offers a complete medical/health care plan, 401(K), and incentive programs.
An EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V
Send resume with proof of experience to:
Human Resources Dept.
1700 North Broadway
Albany, NY 12204
Fax: (518) 462-0371
Telephone calls will not be accepted.