The Specialist Track - Machinist position is responsible for operating a full range of machine shop equipment including lathes, milling machines, and boring, honing and surfacing machines independently under general supervision.
Personnel in the Specialist Track are direct labor personnel who are highly skilled in a specific trade who may also have limited skills in other trades and add value inside the manufacturing environment. This is a non-exempt hourly position in the Manufacturing Department. Candidates may be asked to work any shift, rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays as defined by Company needs.
- Produce high quality machine parts in a safe, efficient, and timely manner
- Work individually as well as with fellow employees to meet departmental efficiency, delivery, and quality goals
- Follow direction and take criticism and/or praise in a professional manner
- Identify, analyze, and solve problems and be able to reach acceptable and workable solutions
- Exhibit the willingness to make decisions when appropriate, but also identify the proper times to defer decisions to Management when necessary
- Perform a variety of tasks/duties that may change often
- Perform any reasonable request, within qualifications, by Manufacturing Supervisors or any other Manager, necessary for the smooth, efficient operation of the factory and consistent production
- Responsible for the performance of above mentioned duties with minimum supervision, as required, to the quality and safety standards acceptable by Simmons Machine Tool Corporation
- Reports to Machining & Fabrication Manager
Training and Opportunities:
Training and opportunity to learn and/or prove skills in the following disciplines include:
- Technical Skills
- Mechanical Skills
- Electrical Skills
- Commissioning Skills
- Surface Prep/Treatment
- Material Handling
- Large Part/Piece Rigging
- ERP Utilization
- Project Coordination
This description reflects the principal functions of the job for the purpose of job evaluation. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements of the job nor shall be construed as giving exclusive responsibility for every function described.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Three (3) years’ experience as a journey-level machinist or completion of a recognized training program in the field of machining
- H.S. Diploma required or G.E.D.
- Proven knowledge in Shop Math and in the use of measuring instruments (micrometers, calipers, dial indicators, etc.)
- Must be hardworking, reliable, honest, and take pride in workmanship
- Ability to work quickly while maintaining high quality performance
- Must possess proven working knowledge of all types of Manual machine tools, CNC machine tools, and machine tooling (drills, taps, mills, etc.)
- Ability to work within precise limits or standards of accuracy and use logical step-by-step procedures to complete tasks
- Ability to read blueprints and schematic drawings to determine work procedures and follow instructions
- Good communication and self-motivational skills required
- Ability to work in a typical manufacturing environment and use protective equipment to avoid common hazards such as safety belts and protective glasses
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. on a regular basis
- Potentially stand for an entire working shift
Character, integrity, and trustworthiness are very important attributes that Simmons Machine Tool Corporation looks for in all candidates.
This is a Union shop.
Simmons offers a complete medical/health care plan, 401(K), and incentive programs.
Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/Disability/Veteran